Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pee, Wewe, Tinkle, Whiz, Dodo, Poop, Cakah, Popo

Guess my title tells you this blog post is about my new composting toilet.  I have shocked many people with my plans to build a tiny home.  The composting toilet usually brings the biggest looks of horror and shock.  My husband was the most shocked with the whole idea of a composting toilet.  You want to do what?  You mean you want me to shit in a bucket?  My answer was "Well, ya".  What do you say?  He did come around and dove in with the building.  I am fortuate that we can work together on these projects.  I have been thinking about what I can do in preparation for building my tiny home and the composting toilet was one item I thought I could research and build easily.  My research phase found many great composting toilets but the cost for most were about $900.  I also explored the option of ordering the Separett from www.Separett.com (Separett-USA) and building my own base for it.  This was my choice.  I learned that to control smell it is best to separate urine from stool.  Both can be safely composted as fertilizer.  I also ordered a vent fan for the toilet from Amazon.  It was a Best electronics and machinery co. 120 mm x 25 mm 110 V ball bearing ac cooling fan model BT12025B1L for $14.  I plan to wire this to a dimmer so I can adjust the spead.  I won't be able to install the fan until I have installed the toilet into my tiny home.  The total cost for us for the toilet was $239.  We chose Spruce wood that was pre glued so that added to our cost.  I think it could be built for less than we did.  The Separett (privy 500) was $129.  Please check out their website.  A couple other web sites about composting urine that I really enjoyed are:  modern farmer.com/2014/01/human-pee-proven-fertilizer-future/ and nwedible.com/how-to-use-pee-in-your-garden/  Live life large by expanding knowledge about all the possibilities.  We are so fortunate.


No comments:

Post a Comment